The Privy Report - Cover

The Privy Report

Copyright© 2022 by Old Grey Duck

Chapter 49

Happy New Year! Sweetie and I want to wish all of you a wonderful 2024 with all the things you desire.


New Year’s Traditions from around the world.

1. In Scotland, the first person who crosses the threshold of your house after midnight on New Year’s Day should be a dark-haired male if you wish to have good luck in the coming year.

2. In the Netherlands, it is common to eat Oliebollen, which are deep-fried dough balls, during New Year’s Eve celebrations.

3. In Turkey, it is considered good luck to sprinkle salt on your doorstep as soon as the clock strikes midnight on New Year’s Eve.

4. In Greece, it is customary to hang an onion on the front door of your house to symbolize rebirth and growth.

5. In Ecuador, citizens parade around the city with scarecrows built to look like popular politicians and cultural icons. At the stroke of midnight, these scarecrows are burnt to a crisp to cleanse the new year of everything evil. (They might be onto something there!)

6. In Brazil, it is customary to light candles and throw white flowers into the water as an offering for Yemoja, the Queen of the Ocean.

7. In Denmark, it is customary to smash plates against the doors of friends and family to ward off evil spirits and bring good luck for the coming year.

8. In the Philippines, it is believed that wearing polka dots on New Year’s Eve will bring good fortune and prosperity for the coming year.

9 In Japan, it is customary to eat soba noodles on New Year’s Eve to symbolize longevity and good health.

10. In Estonia, it is customary to eat seven meals on New Year’s Eve to ensure abundance and prosperity for the coming year.

11. In Russia, it is customary to write down a wish on a piece of paper, burn it, and then drink the ashes mixed with champagne at midnight.

12. In Mexico, it is customary to eat twelve grapes at midnight, each grape representing a wish for the coming year.

And this from Sweetie; 13. In Australia, New Year’s Eve is a public holiday. Many Australians celebrate the occasion by attending fireworks displays, outdoor concerts, and large events in major cities like Sydney. Some people also attend private parties, visit pubs and nightclubs, or have barbecues at their own homes. It is common for people to make noise with whistles, rattles, car horns, and church bells at midnight to ring in the New Year.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.