The Privy Report - Cover

The Privy Report

Copyright© 2022 by Old Grey Duck

Chapter 21

I’m a big fan of Classic Holiday Movies. This past weekend, I took my sweetie to see one of my favorites (she had never even HEARD of the movie!).

Roman Holiday introduced Audrey Hepburn to American audiences in the now-classic 1953 romantic comedy about a princess who rebels against royal restraints, and falls in love with an American journalist (Gregory Peck).

We had a great time and laughed at the adventures the characters had (and when I looked over at Sweetie as the character of Princess Ann had to make some hard decisions, I could see eyes wet with unshed tears).

So, in honor of this wonderful movie, I offer up these tidbits of movie trivia...


Why isn’t Roman Holiday in color? Even though films were being made in color, director William Wyler chose to shoot in black and white so the story and the characters would get the focus, not the location.

Where was Roman Holiday filmed? Roman Holiday was actually filmed in Rome, becoming one of the first American films to be made in Italy.

Who starred in Roman Holiday? Audrey Hepburn got the part of Princess Ann after Elizabeth Taylor and Jean Simmons weren’t available. Cary Grant turned down the role of American journalist Joe Bradley, opening the door for Gregory Peck.

Who wrote Roman Holiday? Blacklisted Dalton Trumbo wrote the Oscar-winning script, but it was kept secret with another writer, Ian McLellan Hunter, fronting for him and accepting the award for Best Motion Picture Story.

What is Roman Holiday about? Roman Holiday is a romantic comedy about a princess who decides to sneak off to have an adventure. Along the way, she meets and falls in love with an American journalist.

Why did newcomer Audrey Hepburn get bigger billing than Gregory Peck? After filming, Peck insisted that Hepburn get bigger billing, because he suspected she would win an Academy Award for the role, which she did. (Audrey Hepburn was 24, and Gregory Peck was 37 at the time the movie was filmed.)

What happened to Audrey Hepburn’s Oscar on the night of the Acadamy Awards? In the excitement of winning her 1953 Oscar, Hepburn accidentally left it in the ladies’ room!

Who came up with the idea for the “mouth of truth”? The “mouth of truth” where Joe Bradley pretends his hand is bitten off, was suggested by Peck, who had seen Red Skelton do a similar bit. They did it in one take to get a genuine reaction from Hepburn, who had no idea of the scene change. That scream was real!

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.