Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 35

“Greetings, Loria,” Amina hailed the young hunter as she entered the taproom of a Fordelian tavern accompanied by Benevin, her fiancée.

“Greetings, Amina. May I introduce Benevin, my ... fiancé,” Loria replied.

“Why the hesitation?” Amina smiled.

“She is somewhat embarrassed that I, a knight, chose to court her,” Benevin replied for the blushing Loria.

“Ah, well, congratulations, Benevin,” Amina chuckled. “I’m sure she’ll get used to it.”

“I believe so,” Benevin smiled. “So, have you located Joffar?”

“We have, though he’s very well guarded,” Nemmos replied. “Nor do we have an easy way to get him back into the city for transit.”

“I believe I can help with that,” a now composed Loria replied. “I was given assurance that a hidden gateway in the Holy Forest will be available to us.”

“Good news indeed,” Chillik enthused. “I take it you have a bounty restraint?”

“I do,” Loria confirmed. “It’s part of my job. I also have several extant bounties, one of which matches Joffar quite well.”

“I think Darras has rubbed off on you,” Amina smiled. “You brought the news and documentation we need to complete this.”

“More Erren than Darras, but yes, I’m not the person I was two years ago,” Loria confirmed.

“Now that peace is breaking out in Rachtelin, the pair of you will need to think about your future,” Amina replied.

“Yes,” Benevin nodded. I’m only a knight, a younger son, one of many, and I can’t expect land or a raised title.”

“Darras suggested Gosvik in the New Territories,” Loria added. “Place apparently needs a new sheriff, and we could make a good life for ourselves there.”

“Any bonuses Rigilo pays out will go far there,” Amina nodded.

“That’s our hope,” Benevin nodded.

“So, where is Joffar?” Loria asked, getting down to business.

“He’s in an estate owned by dal Verris, the former chancellor,” Amina replied, pulling out a map.

“Tricky,” Loria nodded. “I doubt his security will be light.”

“Yes, even if it isn’t about protecting Joffar,” Amina agreed. “They’ll still be there and will be on their guard as things settle.”

“Can it be done?”

“Yes,” Nemmos replied. “Though he’ll be missed within an hour or so, day or night.”

“Hmm, I see the problem,” Benevin nodded. “Too far to the city that a group of mounted men wouldn’t catch you.”

“Nor, apart from you, are we knights to stop them,” Nemmos chuckled.

“However, now that we have the support of the forest folk, we can reach the forest’s edge within an hour. I hope they are quick to come to our aid,” Chillik added.

“I hope so,” Loria grimaced. “Going to get awkward if they don’t.”

“We’ve been permitted to use their gateway,” Benevin replied. “That means the hidden paths will also be open to us.”

“I hope so; I really dislike the idea of capture and eventual death.”

“I’m with you on that one,” Amina agreed. “I’m going to offer up our plans as an offering at the shrine of Crannok, along with a gold coin. That should guarantee our cause.

“I take it Joffar is going in a wagon?” Loria asked. “Last I heard, he was seriously overweight.”

“Yes, plus we’ll have a mule available to sling him over when we reach the forest,” Tarmeet, the youngest of the thieves, replied. “We’ll leave the wagon but take the horses too; I’m sure the villagers around the gateway will find a use for them.”

“Undoubtedly,” Benevin nodded.

“All praise, Erren, for filling our money pouches every time we come here,” Chillik chuckled, raising a glass.

“A necessity if we’re to carry out her plans,” Amina agreed. “Never seen prices like it for anything other than food.”

“All aimed at transferring coin from merchants and the like to the merchant princes,” Nemmos shrugged. “It works, but those at the bottom sometimes live hand to mouth.”

“I’m told Fordel’s day is coming, though not for a couple of years,” Loria shrugged.

“Doubt it will change the prices,” Amina replied.

“True, but this isn’t getting us an errant prince,” Loria smiled.


Several hours later, the group looked down over a fortified and well-guarded manor in the Fordelian countryside outside the village of Keln. The good news was that there was a direct route through a valley to the Holy Forest; the bad news was that it was totally exposed to any approach.

“They are going to see or hear any wagon approaching,” Loria commented. “Or riders, too.”

“Yes, the wagon is going to have to remain in Keln,” Benevin agreed, the thieves also nodding.

“I hope Joffar’s lost some weight,” Amina grimaced.

“I’ll manage,” Benevin chuckled. “One of the benefits of being a knight and wearing armour.”

“He should, though that still leaves you the issue of finding him and getting him out,” Loria added.

“Cross that bridge when we get to it,” Amina replied. “If we can’t do it, no one can.”

“So, you need Benevin and me to ensure you get across the country and to defend you, if necessary?”

“Yes,” Amina nodded. “Now, let’s go.”

For all it was after sundown, two of the moons were up that evening, so the party could easily make their way through the village, drop off the wagon and head towards the manor. From there, the thieves swiftly and silently scaled a wall to observe the interior. From there, they lowered themselves down and vanished into the garden area. Benevin also took this time to ensure he also could scale the wall with a rope to enable Joffar to be hoisted up and dropped down to the waiting Loria.

In the garden, the thieves moved silently towards the manor, easily avoiding the single patrol in the grounds. Amina struggled to pick the lock of a trade entrance for several minutes, though she eventually managed it, and all but Tarmeet slipped inside. The manor was silent, though the remaining thieves remained cautious as they began a systematic search, locating the guardroom where a card game was being played and serving quarters.

“There is no activity on the ground floor,” Amina breathed quietly to the group. “Nevertheless, expect patrols at some point. Now, let’s go upstairs.”

The group padded upstairs and soon had two locations marked where Joffar likely was, with a single guard seated outside the room. Pulling a small bottle out of her belt bag, Amina poured half its contents into a cloth and then, keeping to the wall, slipped along it unnoticed by the bored, drowsy guard. With a swift movement, the fabric was over the guard’s face, and despite a few struggles, the man was unconscious.

Chillik then came up, put on the guard’s helmet, and opened the door to check inside before withdrawing, shaking his head.

“Dal Verris,” Chillik informed Amina as they headed back to the group and off to the other guarded room.

However, the other guard was very much awake and approaching the room would be challenging. However, the group caught a break when Joffar emerged, stark naked and blithely made his way along the corridor towards the thieves, followed by the seemingly put-upon guard. This brought the guard level with Amina at the corridor junction, where she clamped the cloth over the guard’s mouth and, with the aid of Nemmos, held him there until he collapsed, even as the unaware Joffar went into a room, presumably the jakes.

Amina poured the rest of the liquid into the cloth and dealt with Joffar when he emerged, laying the former King down gently as Nemmos and Chillik manhandled the guard into the jakes and under concealment. Joffar was hoisted onto Chillik’s shoulder and carried downstairs to the entry point. Nemmos then whistled softly, receiving a corresponding whistle from Tarmeet, who joined them as they slipped across the gardens to the wall. Tarmeet then scaled the wall and indicated to Benevin, who climbed up with a rope. This was dropped down to the waiting Nemmos, who tied it around the still recumbent Joffar, enabling Benevin and Tarmeet to haul him up and over the wall and drop Joffar down to Loria, who undid the rope and then enclosed Joffar in a bounty hunter restraint, which place the man in a form of stasis.

The thieves group then scaled the wall and descended to the other side. Benevin easily picked up the frozen Joffar and carried him over his shoulder. The group hurried back to Keln and the waiting wagon. Once there, Amina took the reins while Loria and Benevin mounted on their horses, and the wagon set off quickly to the valley leading to the Holy Forest.

“So far, so good,” Amina said to Nemmos as the wagon crossed a ford and headed into the valley.

“They’ll likely use a magic user to trace Joffar,” Nemmos replied. “Removing him from the manor likely triggered all sorts of alarms.”

“I know, but the fact we’ve made it this far suggests they haven’t got a fire user, at least.”

“Well, you have that right,” Nemmos chuckled.

It took an hour to traverse the valley and approach the forest carefully. Loria reported a distant pursuit that was closing with the group. Still, the group headed into the forest, Loria leading the way as their scout, following a dimly seen trail as the trees cut out the moonlight. Their pursuers, however, were using torches to enable them to follow the obvious trail that the group’s haste had made. Loria knew this was utterly foolish within the Holy Forest, guarded by its three Dryads and innumerable Woodnymphs who did not care for trespassers or fire wielders.

This was proven several minutes later by sudden shouts and screams as their pursuers were ambushed by the forest folk for having the temerity to enter their territory with open flames.

“I’m sure glad Darras taught me about the forest folk and the rules they have,” Loria said to Amina. “Yes, it might be dark, and we’re struggling, but at least we’re alive,” Amina replied.

“If you can find a clearing, it might be best to wait for a response,” Benevin suggested.

“Agreed,” Amina nodded. “No sense in asking for a sprained ankle or worse.”

“True, we are townsfolk after all,” Nemmos chuckled.

Here should do,” Loria decided after a few minutes. “Enough space to sit and open enough for some light to see by.”

Several other attempts were made to penetrate the forest before dawn broke, all beaten back by the forest folk. The group could now see the trail ahead and set off on it, Loria noting that it seemingly closed behind them and that they were on the right track to the hidden village, the home of Balat, Doriel’s agent. The group were forced to halt frequently as Benevin and Chillik rested from carrying the heavy Joffar. It was getting on for dusk before the woods cleared, and they found themselves entering a beautifully maintained village.

“Welcome, friends of Erren and Crannok,” A middle-aged man greeted them. “I’m Garri, the leader here.”

“Thank you, Garri,” Loria replied. Are you related to Balat, Doriel’s agent?”

“His father,” Garri smiled. Now come with me. We have food, drink, and soft beds waiting for you.”

“Thank you. May the gods bless you for this aid,” Loria replied.

“Think nothing of it,” Garri replied, leading them into a large hall where several villagers were waiting to serve a substantial meal. “This is my wife, Kala,” he indicated.

“Blessings be upon you, Kala,” the group replied as one.

“May Doriel smile upon you,” Kala smiled. “Now come, eat and drink, you’re safe now.”

“I take it Balat is out doing Doriel’s work?” Amina asked Kala.

“Probably. We won’t know until he returns,” Kala replied. These days, he spends much time travelling in the west, setting up a gateway network for the forest folk.”

“Understandable, what with what we’ve learned of the machinations of the Dark Lord,” Amina nodded.

“Yes, his meddling has caused many issues for the various races,” Kala agreed. “His alliance with Darmela is why we’re here.”

“Darras told me a tale of helping some villagers escape into the Holy Forest,” Amina replied.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.