28 July 2009 - Cover

28 July 2009

Copyright© 2020 by Mustang

Chapter 1

Brad and Abby walked hand in hand through the back parking lot of Scotiabank Place, home of the Ottawa Senators. They went to the rear entrance and entered to be met by a security guard.

“I’m Brad Hayward, and this is my wife, Abby. I was drafted this past June by Ottawa, and I’m here to have a team physical.”

“Yes, Mr. Hayward, we have a note that you are expected.” They had to show identification and were issued visitor passes. Abby explained they’re on their honeymoon, and she hasn’t changed her information to her new name.

Brad and the Security Guard admired her sensual-looking body, clad in a yellow print short sundress with a moderately low neckline. They were escorted a few moments later by Tim Lamont, the Chief Scout, and escorted through the hallway to the main office. Brad noted the gold, black, and red-striped wall with the giant Roman Legion Senator logo on it.

They entered Bryan Murray’s office, where they were introduced to Cory Clouston, the head coach. They shook hands and politely viewed Abby in her dress. Brad admired the various pictures of current and former captains of the team.

“How are you feeling, Brad?” Bryan asked.

“Nervous as can be, otherwise good.”

“Let’s give you and your wife a tour while we wait for Doctor Aubry, the team physician. He’ll give you your medical to determine where we stand with you. Cory, if you please.”


They entered through the sliding door to be greeted by an abundance of red carpet with a black border. In the centre of the floor was the Senator Roman soldier logo. “Unless we’re celebrating a major milestone like winning the conference title or the Stanley Cup, we never walk over the logo. The payer’s skates are razor sharp, so the carpet has to be very durable,” Mr. Clouston explained.

“As you can see, the room is empty of players’ equipment. Their sweaters would be hanging below their nameplate. Many players have superstitions, such as putting on certain pieces of equipment first or in the same order. Chris Neal changes his skate laces before every game. Over the back wall, we have our names to honour our fifty goal scorers, division or conference titles, All Star selections, etc.”

“The stick room is important, as each player has their own preference for make, construction, lie, and weight.”

Brad noticed several sticks on the long rack, including an Easton brand, number eleven Alfredsson. He remembered for a moment that he was close to signing a hockey stick contract with CCM. Unfortunately, the negotiations were suspended once news broke of his career-ending surgery.

He sat for a moment on an unmarked stall on a solid pine seat, envisioning himself as a member of the Senators. “You look good sitting there,” Abby praised.

“Next, we have our equipment and skate sharpening room. Every player has their own profile preference for the angle their blade lays in contact with the ice and how the boot fits and is laced up.”

“I use a nine-profile, size eleven,” Brad mentioned.

“Behind this door is our sweater room with our practice jerseys, extra skates, and new blades. The trainers and equipment staff play a vital, though sometimes underappreciated, role on the team.”

“We have a fully equipped gym for the players to workout in. Some do it before a game, after one, or on their days off. We have a sauna where the players can relax and a giant hot tub. The tub is special because you can set the streams of water to swim stationary and actually ride a stationary bike while undergoing therapy in the water.”

“We have a portable X-ray machine to take a slide of part of a player’s body should he be injured during a game. Along with that, we have an ultrasound machine. So together, we know immediately if a player has a broken bone or a tissue injury. We have three team doctors on staff; one attends every game, should he be needed, and tends to visit team players should they be injured.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.