Good Medicine - Junior Year - Cover

Good Medicine - Junior Year

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 37: A Non-Starter

October 27, 1983, West Monroe, Ohio

"How did your clandestine tryst go?" Mom asked with a smile when she arrived home.

"OK. Maggie is suffering under pretty harsh restrictions; in a way, they're even worse than the ones you imposed on Liz, and Maggie didn't really do anything other than go to church with me, read some Orthodox books, and say some Orthodox prayers. I mean, I could at least understand somewhat if she and I had fooled around, but we didn't."

"And you think her dad knows that? Or is he thinking like Deacon Vasily?"

I shrugged, "Maggie and I were never really alone. I mean, there were times we sat in a restaurant at our own table, but other than the brief times I've seen her since the 'lockdown', Liz, Emmy, and Mindy were with us."

"So what are you going to do?"

"I have no idea, but I'm in no hurry. Tasha and I have finally worked things out, and we're both very happy with where we are."

"I bet," Mom replied with a smirk.

"I have no clue what you're referring to," I said evenly.

"Do you think your mother is a complete fool, Mikhail Petrovich?"

"No, I don't."

"Tasha is a VERY different person since her birthday and everyone has noticed it."

"Because we've both approached our lives as adults for the first time since we noticed each other four years ago."

"She's very happy even though you two aren't engaged and have no plans to get engaged. Explain THAT to me!"

"Never mind," I said with a wry smile and with a shake of my head. "Tasha said her mom suspects, but that her dad doesn't."

"Now, who's being a fool?" Mom asked.

"OK, he suspects, but has what they call 'plausible deniability'. How's that?"

"Better."

"Why are you so calm about this?" I asked.

"Because you and Tasha were on this collision course from the minute your hormones got hold of you! It was only because of your personal willpower, not any other reason, that it didn't happen sooner, which would have led you to a consequence neither of you was prepared for at the time."

"Then why not SAY something to me about it?"

"Right, because my eighteen-year-old son would have listened to his mom telling him NOT to think about marrying Tasha so he could have sex with her! Which planet did you just arrive from?"

"One not distant enough, apparently."

"Apparently! And now you two can get it out of your system and then decide if you DO belong together."

I chuckled, "Which is exactly what Tasha and I talked about very recently."

"You've had some very interesting pillow talk for a young man who hasn't even turned twenty-one!"

"Bubble bath talk," I smirked.

"Remember when I offered to tell you details?"

"I believe you threatened," I replied.

"That too! So things are good with Tasha; how are things with Jocelyn?"

"In a holding pattern until Thanksgiving. She sent me a card, and I sent her one in reply. She promised to see me on Friday after Thanksgiving, so I'm waiting for that. I don't want to push her."

"No, you don't. And Clarissa?"

"She and Glenda are doing fine; Clarissa's 'loving' parents," I made air quotes, "told her that when she gets over her rebellion and goes straight, she's welcome home."

Mom shook her head, "We both know the church's teaching on the matter, but to basically disown your child? That's just beyond the pale."

I wondered if she'd say the same thing in March or April when Liz dropped the bomb about Paul. I'd have to store her comment away for future use to remind her about it. Dad was going to be a completely different issue, just as he was with Clarissa.

"I'm still planning to bring her home for Thanksgiving and probably at Christmas."

"What about your ski trip?"

"I told Robby, Lee, and Sophia I might not make it. I don't want to leave Clarissa alone."

"Have you talked to Becky?"

"Every few weeks, but honestly, I don't see anything coming of that. She has two more years to get her Bachelor's, then two years of graduate school, and she has to go to school in Michigan for her grandparents to afford it. We just can't see each other often enough."

"Your dad will be very disappointed."

I shrugged, "Tell me something which matters to my decision in that regard. What's he going to say about Kimiko?"

"The Japanese girl you're seeing? Who knows? Your dad's opinions don't necessarily track with our thinking."

"No kidding. But in the end, what matters is that you love each other."

"Exactly right. Differences of opinion are going to happen; it's how you handle them that matters. Last question about girls, I promise — how is Angie?"

I shrugged, "All I know is she was in Buffalo, New York, in a hospital, and in good condition. When I talked to Doctor Underwood yesterday, she agreed it was best not to call Angie because of the things Angie said about our relationship. I just hope Angie gets the help she needs."

"I heard from Liz you earned your brown belt. Thanks for calling to let me know."

"Sorry," I replied, chagrined. "I should have."

"Mike, I know we don't always see eye-to-eye, and you and your dad less so, but we both love you very much and want to be a part of your life."

I sighed, "I've kind of cut you out since last Spring, haven't I?"

"Yes, you have. And I understand. At some point, you have to let go of the apron strings. Parents aren't always happy about that, but it's a necessary step in becoming an adult. What you're experiencing, and what your dad and I are experiencing, is the same thing all kids and parents experience at some point in their lives. Sometimes, the break is huge and lasts forever; sometimes, it's small and almost barely noticeable. Most are somewhere in between. On the plus side, I'm glad you and Liz are confiding in each other."

I was sure she was, but I was equally sure she wasn't going to be in the future. I didn't agree with Liz, but it wasn't my life; it was hers, and she had to make her own decisions. One thing I was totally sure of was that despite whatever was said by the doctors at the clinic in Columbus and Family Services, Liz loved Paul, and I had the distinct impression, despite never having met the man, that he loved Liz.

"I love her," I replied. "And that means accepting her for who she is and who she wants to be. I guess that's my problem with Dad when it comes right down to it. It's the same problem I have with Maggie's parents, Clarissa's parents, and Deacon Vasily. I'm guessing you're about to tell me how difficult it is to avoid that situation."

"It takes supreme effort," Mom said. "And I've slipped up in that area. You will, too. The perfect parent hasn't been born!"

"Mary and Joseph?" I asked with a grin.

"Who let their twelve-year-old son wander off and disappear in the caravan?"

"Well, he WAS the Son of God," I chuckled.

"Did HE know that? Did Joseph? Mary did, of course, because it says 'she treasured all these things in her heart'."

"So 'sinless' doesn't include messing up as a parent?" I grinned.

"You know very well what that means, Subdeacon!"

"Yes, that whatever else might be true, she, through conceiving and giving birth to Christ, was cleansed from all sin but remained mortal. I suppose 'nagging' isn't a sin, at least from the 'mom perspective'!"

"Nagging?"

"When Jesus wouldn't do what the partiers wanted at the Wedding at Cana, they went to Mary and asked her to nag Jesus into doing it, which, apparently, she did. I can just see him sighing, rolling his eyes, and whining, 'Moooom'!"

"Blasphemy!" Mom declared, but she was laughing.

"Well, Mother of the Subdeacon, was He fully human or not?"

"He was."

"I rest my case!"

"I suspect if you repeat that in Sunday School, you might get to visit the bishop for a conversation!"

"You think?" I chuckled. "I COULD say it to Vladyka in private, and I suspect he wouldn't be upset."

"No, I don't think he would because you don't mean it in a disrespectful or blasphemous way. And it is an interesting theological question."

"You've read the Gospel of Thomas?"

Mom nodded, "Jesus, as a precocious little troublemaker!"

"What do YOU think would happen if an eight-year-old boy had God-like powers?"

"About the same thing as if a twenty-year-old boy had them! Nothing good! I suspect there was a reason Jesus' ministry didn't start until he was around thirty!"

"Are you saying that's when men are mature?"

"As if THAT ever happens!" Mom teased. "But how old will you be when they let you be a doctor unsupervised?"

"Around thirty," I replied. "So men never mature?"

"They just have more money and more expensive toys!"

"Talk to me in twenty years on THAT topic."

"How are your finances?"

"Very good, despite what I know sounds like incessant complaining about what medical school will cost. With Taft providing room and board and a stipend, I come out ahead of where I'd be if I worked instead. Working while being an RA during the Summer really allowed me to boost my savings. I'm at a point where even a major car repair wouldn't be a problem, though obviously, I want to avoid that if I can."

"You take very good care of the Mustang, but you've always taken good care of your belongings. Speaking of that, did they solve the robberies?"

"I guess Liz told you about that, too; no, they haven't. Oh, I bet there's something Liz didn't tell you — Dean Parker resigned."

"What? Your nemesis? Why?"

"When Angie went missing, she decided to tell the police about my, pardon the expression, 'criminal history'."

"That «сука» (suka)!" Mom spat. ("bitch")

"Glad to see you've come around to my opinion," I chuckled. "That made the cops very interested in me. I found out from the detective what she'd said and told him to run me through all their systems. He did, and they found nothing, of course. Melody, Clarissa, and I went to the Chancellor and told him what happened. I promised not to sue if she resigned for whatever reason they cared to give."

"Wow! What reason did she give?"

"The ever-popular 'personal reasons'. All of my friends are ecstatic. Heck, a number of girls offered to thank me very personally for my efforts!"

"My son the pig; at least he's consistent!"

"And I turned them down, too."

"As I said," Mom said with a knowing smile, "consistent. How long are you staying?"

"Until sometime after dinner. I had my last midterm already. I have to be back early enough to get to bed so I can get up for my 5:00am duties in the lab."

"Another thing I learned about from Liz."

"Sorry," I said. "I promise to try to do better."

"How is that going?"

"Beats me. I just take readings, check equipment, and prepare test tubes, Petri dishes, and that kind of thing. The research study won't end until February. I'm done at the end of the semester, but I'll have my name on the study with everyone else, and I'll be able to use that on my medical school applications and later when I interview for the Match."

"Aren't you curious about the results?"

"Very, but so much of it is based on statistical analysis that even knowing the outcomes I write down on a daily basis, I can't be sure what they mean. I asked Doctor Stanton, and he basically said that until they get the results from the computer next year, they won't know for sure what the study shows. So, in that sense, he doesn't know, either."

"Hi, Mike," my dad said from behind me.

"Hi, Dad," I said.

"Staying for dinner?"

I nodded, "Yes. How's work?"

"Not much changes, although they're talking about putting a computer terminal on my desk next year."

"I'd start planning my escape now!"

"The thought had crossed my mind!"

"Well, you two Neanderthals can avoid computers all you want," my mom said. "I saw a demonstration of a word processor, and it would be life-changing for typing legal briefs and filling out forms!"

"And you are welcome to it!" I replied. "I'm taking a computer course this semester, and while I no longer detest the infernal things, they are even MORE annoying than little sisters!"

"I HEARD that," Liz complained, coming into the room.

"You were supposed to!"

"I'm going to make dinner," Mom said.

"And I have a table to finish tonight," Dad added.

Mom went to the kitchen, Dad went to the basement, and Liz and I went up to her room.

"What are you going to do?" Liz asked.

"What can I do? After dinner, I'm going back to McKinley. I'll be home at Thanksgiving and then again for Winter break. If I can see Maggie, I will, but you know that unless her dad relents, there is no chance we'll really get to spend any time together until she moves to McKinley. Tasha's moving there, too, by the way."

"No way!"

"Yes. Deacon Vasily helped her get a job at Emmerson's Drug Store in McKinley, and she's going to rent the apartment above the Quick Mart from Mr. Sokolov."

"So you're going start a harem?" Liz teased. "A Russian girl, a Japanese girl, a Baptist girl? Got any more?"

"Wouldn't YOU like to know?"

"How did my total nerd of a brother who couldn't get laid in High School become a total stud?"

"Just lucky, I guess," I chuckled. "And I thought that grossed you out!"

"Only when Mindy tries to give me details I do NOT need or want to know!"

"How is she doing? I mean, really?"

"Good, I think. She's dated but hasn't found a guy she's interested enough in to go steady. She's applied to colleges, and I'm pretty sure she's going to be at Taft, too! You know, Mikey," Liz said with a smirk, "you could have a different girl each night of the week!"

"Because all those girls would put up with THAT, and it wouldn't in any way interfere with my studies or my job!"

"That might be a problem, but isn't that the male fantasy?"

"Only if the guy is insane! Has Emmy decided what to do?"

"You know her dad, so the most important thing for Emmy is to get out of the house. She's planning on moving in with her cousin in Rutherford, and get this — she wants to join the Sheriff's Department!"

"No way! Emmy?"

"Emmy. She's going to go to Rutherford Junior College and get a two-year degree in criminal justice, then apply to become a deputy."

"Emmy with a gun and a nightstick?" I asked.

"And handcuffs, Mikey!" Liz teased.

"What do YOU know about THAT?"

"Wouldn't YOU like to know?!"

"Actually, now that I think about it, no, I wouldn't!"

"You know," Liz said with a sly smile, "I could ask how YOU know about it!"

"Word gets around," I chuckled. "Even to nerdy brothers who couldn't get laid in High School."

"Will you answer a question for me?"

"Maybe."

"How many? No names, just the number?"

"Liz..."

"I'm not going to tell anyone, Mikey. I was just curious."

"Why?"

Liz shrugged slightly, "I don't know. It was just something I asked."

"Fourteen," I replied, then added, with a smirk, "including a threesome."

"Holy shit!" Liz gasped. "No way! My brother, the 'straight arrow', 'goody-two-shoes' nerd has been with FOURTEEN girls? And had a threesome! Jesus, Mikey!"

"I'm not sure it's something to brag about," I replied. "In fact, there are times when I wonder how I let myself get so out of control."

"I wasn't criticizing; I was just surprised, given what you used to be like."

"I was criticizing myself," I replied.

"But why? Did you force any of them? Did they force you?"

"No, of course not. But I think, maybe, at some point, I crossed a line."

A line which I was likely going to cross further unless I changed my mind about Kimiko and married one of the girls I'd already slept with.

"Take them individually, Mike. Were any of them wrong? Forget the number; just think about each girl."

Which was exactly how I'd come to fourteen! With the possible exception of Kristin, all of them had made perfect sense, and all of them had been the 'right' thing to do at the time. Individually, each one seemed fine; in the aggregate, they don't.

"That just seems like a way to try to justify what I did."

"Is this really bothering you? I mean, like, deep inside, down to your soul, or whatever?"

I shrugged, "I guess not. I think it's more of a question of 'how did I get here?' rather than one of regret and shame."

"But you seem really, really happy."

I nodded, "I am."

"Then what's the problem?"

"There isn't one, I guess. Well, besides the whole church thing, but I know your opinion on that."

"Rules made by guys who never got laid in their entire lives!"

"That's not quite accurate, but I'll concede it for the sake of argument."

"If you're happy, you aren't hurting anyone, and things are going well, then why be concerned?"

"I think you know why."

"Church. I get it. It's all about making you feel guilty and getting you to toe the line."

I chuckled, "That was April's objection to Roman Catholics. We don't go quite so heavy on the guilt as they do!"

"So you're going to quit fooling around? Including with Tasha?"

"Let's not get crazy, now!" I replied quickly and with a chuckle.

"Thought so!" Liz smirked.

"But it is something I do think about. I don't let it get me down; it's more of a philosophical question than anything. I suppose, in the end, my decisions aren't all that different from the one you made when you went with Paul."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.