Good Medicine - Junior Year - Cover

Good Medicine - Junior Year

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 50: Another End To A Semester

December 16, 1983, McKinley, Ohio

Exams had gone well, and Clarissa, Sandy, and I didn't have a Friday exam because of our work in the lab only had an evaluation, which we'd each received earlier in the week. We'd all received excellent evaluations, which meant an A for the course for each of us. Our stats exam had actually been a breeze, as had the biochemistry exam. The psychology exam was moderately tough, but I was sure I'd achieved at least a B, which meant I would have an A for the course. The exam in computer science had been over concepts, not programming, and I was confident I'd scored well enough to have an A for the semester, as I'd had perfect scores on every programming assignment thanks to Kristin's assistance.

"What time are you leaving, Sandy?" I asked when she came into my room about 9:30am.

"As soon as my dad gets here, which should be in the next twenty minutes. You?"

"After Kimiko's parents pick her up, which will be about 2:00pm. She's at her last exam right now — chemistry. Clark's exam should done by then as well."

"It sure doesn't seem like two years since we took that first chemistry class!"

"No kidding," Clarissa said. "Time seems to be flying by. We're only about six months from taking the MCAT!"

"Next semester is going to be tough," I said. "Three core science courses — biochem, physics, and molecular bio."

"True, but world religions should be a cinch for you," Sandy said. "You have the right mindset for it. And if you don't get an A in Milena's music survey class, something has gone horribly wrong with the universe!"

"You realize she's going to be tougher on me than anyone just to prove there's no favoritism, right?" I asked.

"You know more about music than anyone I know who isn't a music major."

I chuckled, "And if the course were 'History of Rock & Roll' instead of 'Music & Society from Greece to Grease', that would make a huge difference."

Clarissa laughed, "I can't believe she got away with that name!"

"Her mom is her department head, and the Dean of the Arts College is pretty cool."

"How is that not nepotism?" Sandy asked.

"Because Milena's PhD advisor is the Dean," I said. "They worked that out so she could study here. Usually, Doctor Blahnik would be the advisor for someone focusing on music theory and instruction."

"We'll have two Doctor Blahniks?"

"Thoroughly Modern Milena is not only taking Joel's name but will use it for her doctorate. So she'll be Doctor Greene. She's a romantic at heart, and that's why, but from a practical standpoint, it makes sense because it'll prevent confusion."

"And there is NO WAY she'll be tough on you, Petrovich! That girl loves you more than anyone except her intended."

"Which is exactly why she'll do it," I replied.

"He's right," Sandy said. "But I think it's more because she'll have higher expectations from him than anyone else in the class. There are NO music majors in this class; they aren't allowed to sign up for a survey course like this one. Did the others sign up?"

"Yes," Clarissa said. "Pete, Jason, Fran, and Melody. They all begged off on world religions and are taking a literature course instead."

"Ugh," Sandy said. "I had enough of that in High School. I was ready to hold my own personal book burning after Junior year — The Scarlet Letter, As I Lay Dying, The Great Gatsby, Ethan Frome, and Wuthering Heights. I didn't mind Shakespeare Freshman year, but it went downhill from there!"

"I liked A Tale of Two Cities," I said. "And Shakespeare. I wasn't thrilled with the books you mentioned either, but they weren't bad. I liked Moby Dick, too. Mom had me read Pushkin and Tolstoy in Russian, which made my head hurt, but it was worth it."

"Your Russian was good enough to do that?"

"Mostly. I more or less quit using it around sixth grade because I was hanging out with so many people outside of church, and many of the younger kids at church didn't speak it at all. Tasha's family was an aberration. And Sasha would rather speak English."

"How is she doing?" Clarissa asked.

"She's fine, and her mom is acting true to form and will be the insanely doting Russian grandmother. Her dad is, well, being himself, too. He's grudgingly accepted that Sasha won't marry the guy and he loves her enough to not act completely stupidly. Sasha is due after school lets out in May, so she won't miss anything. And it's not like she's the first girl at Harding High to get pregnant. I just happened to be clueless enough to have missed most of the ones when I was in High School."

"How has the church reacted?"

"They haven't said anything publicly, so I'm not sure. I know Sasha told a few of her friends, and my mom guessed from a very oblique reference, but she has the damned «бабушка» (babushka) sixth sense!"

"I think Tasha has the same thing," Clarissa said.

"I think it's something in the Eucharist or the chrism," I grinned. "But it only confers that particular superpower on females!"

"Your sister?"

"No, because she's actively resisting. The LAST thing she wants to be is a «бабушка» (babushka)!"

"When does Paul get out of jail?"

"In February."

"Are you still planning to try to see him?"

"Yes. I want to explain certain aspects of life to him before he and my sister get together again."

"You?!" Sandy gasped. "You're like the most gentle, non-violent person there is."

I smiled, "And if I point out that I'll be very offended if he hurts my sister, it'll be much more effective because of that."

"But you wouldn't use violence to solve the problem, would you?"

"I'd die to protect my sister. And my closest friends."

"I'm curious; what would you do if you were drafted?"

"Report and serve as I was directed. With my training, I'd probably end up as a corpsman or medic; if I had my medical license, I'm sure I'd be a doctor. If not, then I'd invoke conscientious objector status to get a non-combatant role, but I'd do my duty."

"Interesting. So you aren't a pacifist?"

"Sometimes violence is necessary in self-defense. I don't buy into the idea that wars can be just, only that they are sometimes necessary. After the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, what were we supposed to do? Just give up? I know the causes of the war are deeper and that, in some ways, we forced their hand, but once they started the shooting war, it was necessary for us to bring everything to bear to end it."

"And the atomic bombs?"

"Terrible weapons deployed against civilians, but I'm not about to second guess the idea that invading Japan might have cost millions of lives, Japanese and American. Could I have given the order to destroy those two cities? No. And the same is true for Dresden. But honestly, I can't say we were wrong to fight back once we were attacked."

"Dresden?"

"The firebombing of that city caused the deaths of at least 25,000 people, if not more. The Germans claimed 200,000, but our history book said that number was inflated for propaganda purposes. That raid required about 1000 aircraft; Hiroshima and Nagasaki only one apiece. Well, not counting the reconnaissance aircraft which flew over beforehand or filmed what happened. One of my friends in High School said Japan wasn't so tough because all it took to beat them was one Little Boy and one Fat Man."

"The code names of the bombs?" Clarissa asked.

"Exactly."

"Have you talked to Kimiko about that at all?"

I shook my head, "No. I figured it was a very sensitive subject, and unless she raised it, I wasn't going to. Kind of like not saying anything about Pearl Harbor just over a week ago."

"Did your grandfather serve?"

"My Russian one? Yes. The other one, no. My mom's dad was in military intelligence, translating Russian documents into English. He said the biggest dangers he faced working in Virginia were paper cuts and splinters in his butt!"

Sandy laughed, "My grandfather was in the Navy and worked at the Newport News shipyard. He said something similar — his biggest risk was one of his fellow sailors smoking around the fuel and ammunition depots! The other one was never drafted and didn't volunteer."

"My grandfather on my dad's side was in Detroit and worked for General Motors," Clarissa said. "He was exempted because of knee problems, but he managed a group which made tanks. My other one was an infantryman and was wounded in North Africa. He got sent home after that."

"Are they all alive?" I asked.

"Yes," both girls replied.

"Mine, too."

"Sorry to change subjects," Sandy said, "but did either of you look at what our course schedule will be for Senior year?"

"The course catalog won't be out until February," Clarissa said, "but basically, we have a cellular biology course, analytical chemistry, which means a lab, a biology elective, and a general elective. We also have a supervised research project of our own, which we'll discuss with our advisors this semester. We can work together on that, too. For our last semester, it's physical chemistry with a lab, a biology stats course, a humanities elective, and a general elective."

"For our humanities elective, I'd like to take the new course in Russian literature that was proposed. Doctor Blahnik would teach it, if it's approved."

"Of COURSE you would," Sandy said, shaking her head. "But I'm game because I can't imagine Doctor Blahnik screwing our GPAs."

"Me either," Clarissa said. "How about the 'sex, drugs, and rock & roll class' for our general elective?"

I chuckled, "'Modern Social Issues', or whatever it's called? Sure. Sandy?"

"I like sex and rock & roll, but I'll pass on the drugs. Well, minus alcohol! But that class is fine. What about the biology class?"

"Human reproduction?" Clarissa smirked.

"Pass," Sandy said with a smirk. "I have ZERO interest in reproducing anytime in the next eight years or so!"

"I don't think the point of the class is to reproduce!" Clarissa said with a soft laugh.

"I'm OK with 'Reproductive Physiology'," I said. "To be honest, and not to make a joke about it, my knowledge of that area, beyond the fun part in the beginning, is severely limited."

"That's because a 'Y' chromosome causes incurable brain damage!" Clarissa teased.

"Is there a lab?" I asked with a smirk. "You know, for experimentation? And a requirement to switch partners several times during the semester?"

"See what you did?" Sandy laughed.

"Petrovich is just pretending to be a pig; he'd never do that!"

"I don't know," I grinned. "Talk about a way to end college with a bang. Or a dozen!"

"Somehow," Clarissa said with a silly grin, "I'm thinking that even with Dean Parker gone, the college hasn't lightened up anywhere near enough for THAT! And besides, you might end up with a GUY as a lab partner!"

"Last I checked, reproduction requires a boy and a girl," I grinned. "I know science has come a long way, but not THAT far!"

"Has anything come of Dean Parker's fight with the University?"

"No. Melody told me that she heard from one of the members of the Board of Regents that the school attorney has said they can't risk letting her back because of you."

"I can be bought," I grinned. "But the deal would have to be for her to come back after I graduate."

"You'd do that to our friends, who would still be here?"

"No, but the idea of having someone pay for medical school is pretty attractive. It's just not attractive enough to allow ANY deal with Dean Parker."

"Still searching for the bikini model heiress?" Sandy asked.

"There seems to be a serious shortage of them here in McKinley! So, all kidding aside, we're in agreement?"

"Yes," both girls said.

"What about campus visits for medical school?" I asked. "Are we still going to visit Stanford and Emory? In addition to UC, Indiana, Pittsburgh, and Ohio State?"

"Is there really a chance we'll go to California or Georgia?" Sandy asked. "If not, I'd rather not spend the money. We could save it for a Summer trip after we graduate, instead."

"You mean the Europe backpacking trip?" I asked.

"I do think that's a great idea," Sandy said. "And Pete is interested."

"Me, too," Clarissa said. "And I talked to Milena about just how inexpensive it can be if we plan it properly. Airfare is the biggest cost, but if we book far enough in advance, we can find some really discounted flights. We should start looking for them right after we finish in May of next year."

"I guess my answer is that no, at this point, there is no real chance I'll want to go to California or Georgia," I said. "My strong preference is for McKinley Medical School, but we do need backups, and the more or less local ones — Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Columbus, and Pittsburgh make the most sense."

"So you're up for a trip like that?"

I nodded, "Yes. Everyone has been telling me to do it, and we know there's no chance we'll be able to do anything like that for at least six years after we graduate from Taft. So, I'm game."

"Any specific places you want to go?"

"Rome, Paris, Madrid, Amsterdam, Berlin, and London. I guess it depends on how much time we have, but Scandinavia would be cool."

"That sounds like my hit list as well," Sandy agreed. "But I'd add Athens."

"And I'd add Vienna," Clarissa said. "But we don't have to figure that out just yet. Would we invite anyone else to go with us? Or just the three of us and Pete?"

"I think it would depend on my relationships at that point," I said. "I know we kind of have to decide in June or July next year, but I'd like to wait until then."

"OK. We have a broad outline of the next twenty months, and then it's medical school!"

"Are you still planning to live with Doctor Blahnik, Mike?" Sandy asked.

"I plan to live at her house," I chuckled.

"Which is what I meant, you dope!" Sandy laughed. "Not the other thing!"

"Leave it to Petrovich to take anything and everything the wrong way! It's quite the change from when we met him."

"That's for sure!" Sandy agreed. "He's actually fun now!"

"Gee, thanks," I replied sarcastically.

"I wasn't talking about screwing," Sandy said lightly, "that was lots of fun. But you were WAY too uptight during our first two years."

"Nice recovery," I said flatly.

"Oh, stop!" Sandy said, laughing. "I really liked our 'stress relief' sessions. I mean, REALLY liked them! And you have to admit you were wound way too tight when you first got to Taft."

"Perhaps," I allowed.

"Let me put it this way: first-year Mike couldn't have played those concerts or had a girlfriend like Kimiko."

"True."

"Are you guys as serious as it seems?"

I nodded, "We're working towards it, yes."

"But you aren't steady, right?"

"That has VERY different connotations for a traditional Japanese girl," I said. "Asking her to go steady is basically getting engaged. We're not there yet, and there is the whole church obstacle which we have to overcome to get there, as well as a few others. They aren't insurmountable, but they have to be dealt with properly, which takes time."

"But you're thinking about it?"

I nodded, "I am. The same as YOU are thinking about Pete that way."

"Just shut up!" she growled.

I chuckled, "Called it!"

"He did," Clarissa confirmed.

"I'm not sure I'm ready for sex with only one guy for the rest of my life," Sandy said.

"Well," I said, "the only way THAT isn't going to happen is if you break up with Pete or cheat on him, and I don't see you doing either of those!"

"I know; I know!" she sighed.

Our other friends began filtering back from their last exams, and the three of us packed bags for heading home. When Kimiko returned from her exam, we spent an hour cuddling quietly on the couch before we joined our friends for lunch.

December 16, 1983, West Monroe, Ohio

The drive home was like every other drive home — about an hour in the car following Route 50, which I now knew so well that the car seemed to simply drive itself. Clark's mom had been waiting for him, and they left a few minutes after we arrived at my house. Clarissa took her things up to Liz's room, and I took my things to my room, then the three of us went down to the basement.

"Mom asked you to write on the calendar what days you'll be home for dinner," Liz said.

"OK. I'll do that when we go upstairs."

"Tomorrow, you need to be at Mindy's house at 8:15am. You can see Maggie for an hour or so. I don't know if there will be another chance because you're going to Michigan and then you have the wedding. Maybe right before you go back to school, but that depends on Maggie's parents not being home at some point."

"OK," I said. "Are you planning on going to church for Nativity?"

"Mom basically begged so we could be together as a family. Well, you have to serve, but you know what she means."

"Unfortunately, I have to serve in McKinley because of Deacon Grigory's heart attack."

"Mom is going to be pissed," Liz said.

"Well, even though it was Father Nicholas who asked, she can take it up with the bishop. I sympathize, but once I accepted ordination, I sort of have to go where the bishop sends me. And you know what Grandpa will say."

"He was happier about your ordination than YOU were! And he's expecting you to be a deacon."

"So is the bishop," I said. "But there's a minor impediment."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.