Good Medicine - Junior Year - Cover

Good Medicine - Junior Year

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 72: Status Reports

March 20, 1984, Rutherford, Ohio

I arrived at the halfway house in Rutherford just after 2:30pm on Tuesday afternoon, wearing my cassock to keep up appearances. I was shown into Mr. Gilbert's office. He offered coffee, which I accepted, and we sat down in a pair of chairs next to his desk.

"Is everything OK?" I asked.

"Yes, it is. I just wanted a word with you so I could thank you for the help you've given Paul Reynolds. I started doing this six years ago when I retired from GE, and we've never had a quicker, more successful placement. Thank you."

"You're welcome. What happens now?"

"Well, in another week, if everything continues as it is, Paul will be given permission to find a place to live. I've been looking on his behalf, and I found a studio apartment above a garage he can rent. He'll need to speak to the owners, of course, and once they approve, he can ask his Parole Officer for permission to move there. At that point, he's required to come here each day to check in, but the other restrictions are lifted. And after he's lived on his own for about two months, and again, with his Parole Officer's approval, all Paul will need to do is keep his weekly appointments with the PO until the end of his parole."

"He'll have to come here every day?" I asked.

"Yes. Parolees are subject to random urine tests for drugs, and they have to report any people with whom they associate. He can't associate with anyone who is a convicted felon, nor can he have any association with any minors, except briefly in the context of his work or their work."

"May I ask your assessment?"

Mr. Gilbert smiled, "He made a mistake, acted on a foolish impulse, and paid a heavy price. As best I can tell, there was no force or coercion used."

Which I knew to be the case, but I couldn't reveal that fact without putting both Paul and Liz at risk. What I had to judge was when it would be safe for Liz to see Paul. I was leaning towards graduation, but that was still two months away, and I wasn't sure my little sister had THAT kind of patience. I could put her off at least until Paul was settled, and I was going to encourage her to limit how often she saw him until graduation. That thinking led me to an important question.

"So other than felons or minors, there are no restrictions on friends? He'd just have to report their names?"

"Pretty much. There's a chance the Parole Officer would talk to them, which is especially true if Paul were to have a roommate or a girlfriend. It's not that those are a problem, in and of themselves, but the PO is looking for potential bad influences — trouble with the law, alcoholism, drug use, and so on."

I nodded, "I suppose that all makes sense."

"Let me get him for you; you can use this office."

"Thanks."

Mr. Gilbert got up, and I stood to wait for Paul, who came into the office about three minutes later. He shut the door behind him, and when I gestured towards the chair, he sat down, and I did, too.

"Thanks," Paul said.

"You're welcome," I replied. "I received good reports from Mr. Zhuravlyov and Mr. Gilbert. Liz asked me to say 'Hi' and to let you know she misses you."

"I miss her, too, and now we can't even write because my PO would want to talk to Leslie Compton."

"I'm thinking you guys should meet for breakfast at the diner next to the motel. I figure that if you both sit on adjoining stools at the counter, you can talk. But it has to appear to be a random encounter. And when you finish eating, you ask her to have breakfast with you again, then report that to your PO. Maybe you wait until you move and are settled, but I don't think that's strictly necessary."

Paul smiled, "Did you cook this up? Or did Liz?"

Actually, it had been Melody. Of all the people I knew, she was the one who I felt could come up with a way to make it work. And it had taken her only a few seconds to devise a plan.

"A friend of mine did," I replied. "She knows no details. I just gave her a hypothetical scenario, and that's what she suggested. But that means you guys HAVE to make that 'accidental' breakfast meeting your first-ever meeting. I'll make sure Liz has the story straight. And obviously, no kissing, hugging, or anything like that until you've had a few of those breakfast dates. My one concern is the PO wanting to talk to Liz."

"If we just see each other at the diner the way you're suggesting, I can just report it as someone I sat next to at breakfast. So long as that's it, even if I happen to run into her several weeks in a row, I think it'll look as if it developed naturally."

"Can you pull that off?"

"Having been in prison, I don't want to go back. I know it will have to develop as if it were a new relationship. And in some ways, it is. She's eighteen now, and she was only fourteen when we first..."

"I know," I replied flatly. "I'll have to talk with her about how this has to work. I'm going to do that after I leave here. My friend suggested you don't ask Liz on a real date, at least until after she graduates from High School, just to prevent any trouble."

"What about your parents?"

"Let me worry about them. It's manageable until you guys are ready to move in together."

"Which is going to have to be sometime after the Summer. Dating is one thing, but asking her to move in will attract serious attention."

"All I can say is you have your second chance, don't screw it up."

"I do not plan to. I love your sister, Mike. That's not a lie."

"All I can do is measure you by your actions," I replied. "To put it mildly, your life is in my hands in several ways."

"I got that picture quite clearly."

"So long as we understand each other. I'm doing this for Liz. When you prove yourself trustworthy, I'll be pleased to call you my brother-in-law."

"She's lucky to have you," Paul said.

"Thanks. You know what? How about breakfast next Saturday at 7:00am? I know she can make that. If I can arrange it, I'll have her bring her friend Emmy so it looks like they were there together. I believe you met Emmy."

Paul nodded, "Yes."

"OK. Then I'll get going. I'll check in with you in a couple of weeks."

"Thanks."

We shook hands, and we both left the office. I thanked Mr. Gilbert, then left the halfway house and headed to Emmy's apartment. Liz was waiting there, having taken the school bus home with Emmy instead of to West Monroe. She greeted me with a brotherly hug, and Emmy greeted me with a full-body hug, which telegraphed her desire to every nerve ending in my body.

"If you two need two minutes, I can wait," Liz teased.

"More like twenty!" Emmy replied with a wink.

"Sure," Liz smirked. "Twice for two minutes and fifteen minutes to recover in between!"

"Hey!" I protested. "What did I do to deserve this kind of abuse?"

"You were born three years before me!" Liz replied.

"You can take THAT up with Mom and Dad!"

"How is Paul?"

"As if I'm going to tell YOU anything after you teased me like that!"

"Mikey..." Liz whined.

"Wow, Lizard Breath! Whining? When did that start?"

"Fuck you, Mikey!" she said, but she was laughing.

"Paul's fine. You two need to have breakfast at that diner next to the motel, The Yolk's On You, next Saturday at 7:00am. Sit at the counter and make sure there's an empty stool next to Liz. Paul will sit down and have breakfast. You have to pretend you just met him and strike up a conversation. No hugs, no kisses, no touches, nothing. You're two strangers who just met. You'll do this for the next six weeks or maybe a bit longer. Paul is under severe restrictions, and he has to report any friends to his Parole Officer."

"Shit!" Liz spat. "This is nuts!"

"I didn't make the rules, Liz; the State of Ohio did. Even when Paul gets his own place in another week or two, he'll still have to report in daily at the halfway house and undergo random drug tests. And tell them about anyone he associates with. You're just two girls named Liz and Emmy, whom he met at breakfast. That's it. When he feels his Parole Officer will be cool with it, he'll ask you on a date. And you have to behave as if it's a first date, Lizzy."

"What if I WANT to fuck on this 'first' date?"

"I'd advise against it. Strongly. Unless I miss my guess, you won't be able to move in with him until the end of the Summer, at the earliest, and maybe not even then. You don't want the Parole Officer to be suspicious. So, if that means living at home and going to Harding Junior College, that's what you'll do. You'll be dating by then, and you'll be able to spend more time with him. Melody put this plan together, and I think it will work."

"He's right, Liz," Emmy said. "You're so close; don't wreck it now. You'll be able to see him and talk to him on Saturday."

"But remember," I said gently, "you just met. Paul knows the score. Everything is good, so let's try to keep it that way. And you'll do a lot to make Mom and Dad comfortable with your decision-making if you enroll in the accounting classes. I do advise not telling them WHO you are dating if you can help it. In fact, you need to do your best to have them not find out about it for as long as possible. And when you think they suspect, call me, and I'll play referee when you tell them."

"They will absolutely freak out!"

"Obviously. You have to decide when you tell them so we can do our best to make sure they don't do something rash."

"You can stay here if you need to," Emmy said. "I'm sure my cousin will be OK with it and we can work things out. You can easily get a job, and the junior college is close enough for you to walk."

"I do have my car," Liz said.

"Are you going to be able to handle this?" I asked.

"Yes," Liz sighed. "I don't really have a choice, so I basically have to."

"Good. Then shall we go home?"

"Are you staying for dinner?"

"I am."

"See you at graduation!" Emmy said.

She gave me a wonderful hug, kissed my cheek, and then Liz and I headed out to my car for the drive to West Monroe.

"I'm going to come see you on Saturday after breakfast," Liz said as we climbed into the car. "I don't want to go right home."

"That's fine."

"I'll bring Violet!"

"That's fine, too."

March 20, 1984, McKinley, Ohio

Clarissa was waiting for me in the lounge when I arrived back at the dorm. She hopped up and followed me into my room, where we hugged and exchanged a chaste kiss.

"How did it go?"

"Really well. I think Melody's idea is going to work out just fine, so long as Liz keeps her wits about her. Emmy will help her, and Paul knows the score."

"So you're done until it's time to clean up the blast zone?"

"I'll talk to Paul in a few weeks just to check in, but after that, yes. I told Liz to call me as soon as our parents figure out who she's seeing."

"And when they find out you were involved?"

"It'll be pretty bad at first, but they'll get over it."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Yes. It may take some time, but they'll know Liz was determined to do this no matter what. And remember, I didn't do anything to help her get in touch with Paul, and I tried to dissuade her. It was only when I was convinced she was going to do this no matter what that I agreed to help her."

"And if your parents tell Mr. Zhuravlyov? Or Paul's Parole Officer?"

"That is possible, but that's why I advised Liz to be smart and not reveal her relationship until she has to, and when she thinks my parents suspect, she needs to call me so I can be with her when she tells them. That's how we'll keep the others out of this."

"You love Liz enough to risk your relationship with your parents?"

"Liz isn't going to rat me out," I replied. "It's manageable. You and I discussed this before I left."

"I know. I just don't want to see you get hurt by this."

"I have some aces up my sleeve if I need them. But let's worry about that when the time comes. We need to go to study group! Midterms are next week."

I grabbed my books and notebooks, and we went out to the lounge to join the group. Four hours later, our small group was relaxing in my room.

"You guys got back so late on Sunday; we didn't get to hear about Florida," I said to José.

"It was a lot of fun!" he replied.

"I went to a nude beach!" Kimiko declared.

"NO WAY!" Sandy gasped. "Seriously?"

"Yes! Rebekah knew a place called Playa Linda. There is a place where clothing is not required."

"And you actually did that?"

"All three of us!"

"How was Disney World?" I asked.

"Fun, but we wore our clothes there!"

"Rebekah, you corrupter of innocents!" Sophia said with a soft laugh.

"In Japan, nudity is not seen in the same way as it is here," Kimiko said. "Yes, some people think similar to Americans, but most do not."

"We could learn something from the Japanese!" Rebekah said impishly. "Perhaps a naked study group?"

We all laughed hard.

"The university might frown on that one," I said. "Even with Dean Parker gone!"

"We should find an out-of-the-way lake so we could all go skinny dipping!" Rebekah suggested.

"If you want to show off your body, there's no reason not to just strip here!" Pete said with a silly grin, then exclaimed, "OW!" when Sandy slugged him in the chest.

"If this is about getting good looks at each other," Robby said slyly, "Mike could undress."

"Nothing personal," I replied, "but I'd prefer NOT to star in whatever fantasies play out in your mind!"

"If you only knew!" he teased.

"We could all leave and let you two get better acquainted," Sophia offered mirthfully.

"I wouldn't do that to Lee," I replied.

"But otherwise?" she asked.

"No, but Robby and Lee ARE a couple; the most stable couple here except Jason and Fran! And before this gets even MORE out of hand, it's bedtime!"

Everyone laughed, said 'good night', and left, though Clarissa stayed behind.

"OK to sleep with you tonight?"

"Yes, of course. I didn't take it personally that you wanted to sleep alone Sunday night and last night."

We got ready for bed, climbed into my bed naked, and spooned together. We exchanged a single, simple kiss, I turned out the lights, and we both fell asleep.

March 24, 1984, McKinley, Ohio

"What's the plan for today?" Clarissa asked when we woke on Saturday morning.

"Same as the last time Liz and Violet visited," I replied.

"Is Tasha visiting tomorrow?"

"That's the plan, but her calendar predicts her period will start today, so that means the three of us can hang out for the afternoon."

"Not into bloody messes?" Clarissa teased.

"Neither of us is! And now that we're on this topic, I don't even know when yours are!"

"If you remember, I went on the Pill to regulate them, and I don't get moody or have cramps like some of the other girls, and we've only been sleeping naked together for a couple of weeks. I use tampons, so they aren't obvious, even if I'm just wearing panties."

"We're in an area where my knowledge is effectively zero," I chuckled. "I mean, I know those things exist, but I have no clue beyond that."

"When was your last period?" Clarissa teased.

"Fair enough," I chuckled. "But I probably should know more about those kinds of things."

"Anytime you want to hear all about leaky pads, bloodstained panties, or the other fun parts of being a girl, you let me know!"

"I KNOW the fun parts of girls," I teased.

"Pig!" Clarissa exclaimed, but she also laughed.

"At your service!"

"You're being wonderfully patient."

"Pushing you to make a decision, or even talk, before you're ready can't possibly turn out well. When you're ready, you'll talk to me. And it's not like you're giving me the silent treatment or anything like that. Everything else is exactly as it was before, and that's a good thing. In fact, it gives me hope."

"Hope?"

"That whatever decision you make, whatever comes of what happened in Marietta, we'll be fine."

"Do you want to make love to me again?"

"I'd be a liar if I said 'no'," I replied. "But it's not that simple; what I want is what is best for us, whatever that might be. And as I said, it's not causing trouble for us. Or am I wrong?"

"Other than complete confusion on my part? No, you aren't wrong. You've been perfect, really."

"That I doubt, but I understand the point you're trying to make."

"If your control over your desire is so strong, why do you say you're weak?"

I chuckled, "Because sex feels good, and it's fun, and if it won't hurt anyone, I'm VERY interested. And that is when my weakness kicks in."

"You're going to try to fulfill the pool table fantasy, aren't you?"

"Maybe," I replied with faux innocence.

"Let's get out of bed and get some breakfast. May I suggest a course of action?"

"You may."

"Spend a little time alone with Violet and test the theory."

"You're trouble, Miss Saunders!" I chuckled as we climbed out of bed.

"Me? Compared to Rebekah and José? Would YOU go skinny dipping in Milton Lake?"

"Strangely, I might actually consider it as one of those 'you have to try it once' kind of things."

"So you can see Rebekah? She'll show you if you ask! No need to go to the lake!"

"You think she's some kind of exhibitionist?"

"I think she'd get naked in public if she thought she wouldn't get arrested or tossed out of the dorms. Nude beaches in Saint Martin and in Florida? Nude study groups? Skinny dipping?"

"You might have a point," I said as I got into the shower.

I quickly washed up, and when I stepped out, Clarissa handed me a towel and got into the shower herself while I dressed. She kept a bottle of her shampoo and a bar of her soap in my room, and she used those to wash. When she finished, I handed her a towel, and after she dried off, she took some clothes from the dresser drawer she'd taken over.

"You're sure we aren't married?" I teased.

"Positive," Clarissa said, turning to face me as she pulled on her panties. "If we were married, YOU would have one drawer, and I'd have the rest!"

"At least you wear very little makeup, so the bathroom won't be a complete disaster!"

"You shared one with Liz, right?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.