Vaquero Lopez - Cover

Vaquero Lopez

by A Bad Attitude

Copyright© 2024 by A Bad Attitude

Fiction Story: Another backstory of a character from my book "O'Shea Ranch S.A."

Tags: Fiction   Western   Violence  

Author’s Note---Here is another backstory of one of the characters in my book O’Shea Ranch S. A. He is a Native American cowboy from Texas. There is no sex in this story but don’t worry in the book he gets more than his fair share!

Chapter 1: Some Background

Vaquero---My given name is Ramon Lopez, but there is no one left alive who remembers that name. Most people do not know that ‘Lopez’ is my last name. I am just known as ‘Vaquero’.

Before I begin the story let me tell you a little something about me. I am an Apache. I was born on the Lopez Hacienda in the Coahuila state of Mexico, across the Rio Grande River from the state of Texas. Señor Lopez’s ancestors had given refuge to my ancestors when the Mexican army was hunting the Apache. My family had worked on that ranch for generations.

I quit school to work the cattle. From a young age I was good at it and the men on the ranch noticed. They say I have a ‘gift’. I don’t know about any ‘gift’, I do know that I love working around livestock. I can tell if a cow or a horse is sick by just looking at them. I can handle most problems without calling a vet.

When it came time, I married and was very happy. But that ended when my wife and baby died in childbirth. I never re-married. Now don’t think I became a monk or something like that. I have had a lot of ‘girlfriends’ I just did not see the need to have a wife.

Life on the Lopez Hacienda changed one day. A new ‘owner’ came with about 200 men, all carrying rifles. He said he bought the ranch, and everything would remain the same for us ‘Apache’. We knew he was lying. This land was part of a land grant given to the Lopez family centuries ago. Señor Lopez would never sell. We never found a trace of him, his wife, two sons and their wives. I imagine they are buried somewhere in the desert.

We became part of the Rio Bravo Cartel. We were made to help with the un-loading of drug planes and preparing packages of drugs for shipment north into the States. After about two months Geronimo, our chief, decided we should leave.

One night four families, about 18 people and myself crossed the Rio Bravo into the States. We had very little money and took only what we could carry on our backs. In the States we contracted with a white man in a big truck to take us to New Mexico, we have family there. Read “Lt. Jack” to find how we all ended up working for the O’Shea Ranch in Texas.


Chapter 2: The Teacher

One morning when I rode up to Geronimo’s house, I was told that Jack O’Shea wanted to see me in the main office of the ranch. I am a little surprised. I have very little contact with the owners of the ranch. The last time I was at the ranch headquarters was when Señora O’Shea had killed the two men who tried to rape her. Geronimo and I scalped them and disposed of their bodies in the deep ravine in the back pasture. Their scalps were added to the pole of scalps we keep at Geronimo’s house. We handle our problems with our own brand of justice. We do not involve the white man’s law. It had never worked for us.

I wonder what he needs me to do this time.

The gate in the wall around the headquarters opens automatically when I ride up. I find a place in the shade and tie my horse. I’ll bring him water later.

In the office I am greeted by Jack O’Shea, my ‘patron’. Then he introduced me to his brother Travis. I see the scar on his head and neck. A Warrior! There is also a very pretty lady, Mexican maybe. She is not white. She is introduced as his wife Ana. Jack says something in English, I have no idea what he said since I only speak Spanish.

Ana O’Shea---Jack says that this ‘Vaquero’ only speaks Spanish, so I take over the conversation after looking him over. He looks just like pictures I have seen of Apache Indians. His face is aged and wrinkled by the sun. His skin color is brown telling everyone who sees him that this man works outside. He is short and stocky, maybe 5’9” tall and 180 lbs. He is wearing a Mexican sombrero which he has taken off and holding in both hands in front of him. I see a big knife hanging from his belt. I am a little surprised he is not wearing a pistol! He has on jeans, which are covered by leather chaps. On his feet are a pair of well-worn cowboy boots. Spurs! He is wearing spurs!

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.