26 July 2009 - Cover

26 July 2009

Copyright© 2020 by Mustang

Chapter 5

Diane, Brenda, Derek, Peter, and Hanna entered the front door as Officer Alexander’s car was leaving.

“Why was there a cop car here?” Diane asked as they entered the living room.

“I have some bad news,” Cathy began. “Earlier this morning, Ben was killed in a car accident.”

All five were stunned by the news. “We saw him at the wedding and reception; what happened?” Brenda wondered. Cathy related to them what happened and why the police officer was there.

“Do Brad and Abby know?” Peter asked.

“No, and they’re not going to find out until they return home, hear about it on the radio, or read about his death in the newspaper on their own,” Scott stated.

Scott looked directly at his twin boys, “Peter and Derek. Let me make this perfectly clear to you. If either one of you tells Brad or Abby about Ben’s death, NHL draft or not, I’ll pull you both out of hockey! They are on their honeymoon, and you know, Abby, she’d have Brad and her come home because she’d feel she had to. They’re having the time of their young lives. Vicky and I want it to remain like that, understood?”

“Loud and clear, Dad.” They understood.

“For the next few days, concentrate on your conditioning for the Senator’s rookie camp in August.”

“We will, Dad,” Derek said for them.

“Diane and Brenda, if either one of you tells Brad or Abby, I’ll take your cell phones for a month, plus you’ll be grounded,” Dan stated.

“Wow, Dad, you’re really serious!” Diane remarked.

Lisa looked sternly at Hanna and Jenny. “We get the hint.”


The next several days were a complete blur for Cathy.

The Belleville Funeral Home and Chapel was chosen to conduct Ben’s service and cremation. Cathy regretted going home to an empty house. She looked in Ben’s closet, having to choose a suit for his viewing. She sniffed his clothes, wanting to imprint his scent again in her memory.

She called her workplace, telling her supervisor what happened and that she would be away from work for several weeks. She then had to inform Ben’s boss that he was dead—killed in a car accident. Doug and Kevin were able to stay a few days longer for Cathy to attend Ben’s service.

Dan told Cathy not to worry about the cost of Ben’s service and cremation; he’d pay for it.

Cathy and Ben’s mom, Helen, had an ongoing difference of opinion about Danny attending his father’s service. Helen said a funeral was no place for a little boy. Cathy countered that it was Danny’s choice that he wanted to see his dad sleeping and to say goodbye to him.

Cathy put on a brave face as she, Helen, Bob, and their adult children received those paying their respects. Dan and his family attended during viewing hours. He could detect the whispers of others about four women being with one man. Ben’s older brother was indifferent towards him, and Dan figured it was the stress of the sad times.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.