Good Medicine - Medical School III - Cover

Good Medicine - Medical School III

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 62: A Convincing Argument

December 25, 1987, Feast of the Nativity, McKinley, Ohio

When I arrived at my in-laws’ house, Viktor invited me to his study.

“What happened this morning?” he asked.

“I apologize, but I can’t discuss the details with you. What I will say is that it is not about any sin I’ve committed.”

“Is this more fallout from what I did?”

It was, but not the way he meant, and I couldn’t reveal the actual source of the problem without violating Tasha’s privacy.

I shook my head, “No, it’s not about that.”

“I’m concerned about you, Mike. You’re under tremendous stress, and you’re missing a lot of church.”

“Both of those things are true, but you know I have no control over my schedule, and being able to handle severe stress is mandatory for trauma specialists. I have plenty of help from Lara, Serafima, Alyssa, and the other girls, so I’m coping. Anna is helping as well, as you know. I didn’t mention it before, but about two weeks ago, at Bishop JOHN’s direction, I went to see Father Roman in Ellwood City. I’ll speak to him again in two weeks. I think he can help. How is Yulia?”

“Better, though she has quite a way to go. Shall we join the others and open our gifts?”

“Absolutely.”

We had a nice afternoon with a wonderful meal, though I was careful with how much I ate because I would be having a second big meal at my grandfather’s house in about five hours. Yulia was indeed doing better, and she very much enjoyed having both her grandchildren with her. That brought to mind something that might cause conflict in the future — adding a third set of grandparents.

Yulia was slightly annoyed when I began bundling Rachel so we could leave as we had planned, but she didn’t actually make an issue of it. I thanked her and Anna for the meal, then left for Rutherford.

December 25, 1987, Feast of the Nativity, Rutherford, Ohio

“Hi, Dad,” I said when I walked into the house he and Holly had moved into earlier in the month.

“Hi, Mike! How is my granddaughter?”

“She’s doing well. How’s my brother?”

“Going to have a brother or sister in eight months!”

“Congratulations. OK to share that with Liz?”

“Yes, of course. Tell her I’d like to see her after she has her baby, if you would.”

“I’ll convey the message,” I replied, knowing it was probably futile.

“Holly has coffee and cake, though I suspect you’ll only have a small piece. We’ll open presents after that.”

I considered declining the coffee, as I’d already had some, but the hospitality rule meant I should gratefully accept the offered food and drink.

“Thanks,” I said. “Would you like to hold Rachel?”

“I would. I suspect Peter will get his nose out of joint, but he’ll need to get used to a sibling soon enough.”

I took off Rachel’s winter gear and handed her to her grandfather, then took off my hat and coat. We went to the dining room where Holly greeted us and served us cake and coffee. Peter sat in a high chair and ended up wearing more of his cake than he ate, which resulted in him getting a bath while my dad and I chatted.

“How is medical school going?” Dad asked.

“I’m doing a clinical rotation in pediatrics right now, which is pretty calm and quiet compared to surgery, trauma, or obstetrics. Next up is psychiatry, which will be very calm, but very interesting. That takes me through March, and then I have internal medicine to close out Third Year.

“How are you doing otherwise?”

“Hanging in there. It’s tough, but I have a lot of help from the girls at church in caring for Rachel, especially Lara Bragg, who took a year off from earning her teaching degree to be Rachel’s main caregiver.”

“Are you paying her?”

“No. She offered to do it, and her family is very well off. How many kids do you know who were given a brand new, top-of-the-line Corvette for their sixteenth birthday?”

Dad laughed, “Zero! You did really well to have a used Mustang at sixteen.”

“When are Grandpa and Grandma going to be here?”

“Tomorrow through Tuesday. They’re hoping Liz has her baby before they have to go home. Is there any chance you’ll be able to see them?”

“Unfortunately, I have plans and shifts at the hospital, but if they’re willing to drive to McKinley, I could see them on Monday morning.”

“I’ll speak to my dad tomorrow and let you know. What time?”

“Call it 9:00am. I have lunch plans, so it would be for two hours, but they would get to see their great-granddaughter.”

“I’m sure your grandmother will insist, so expect that, OK?”

“Sounds good.”

About forty minutes after we arrived, Rachel and I left for my grandparents’ house.

“What did your OB say?” I asked Liz, who waddled to greet me.

“To be patient,” she growled. “I am SO over being pregnant! I was due four days ago!”

“And first babies are often up to a week late. How was your ultrasound?”

“She said the baby is healthy and there’s sufficient amniotic fluid.”

“And your BP?”

“Fine. It’s never really been high at any point.”

“This isn’t a doctor’s office!” my uncle called out.

“Shush!” my aunt responded.

I laughed and Rachel, Liz, and I went into the living room where everyone was gathered. I greeted my grandparents, my aunt and uncle, my two cousins, Paul, my mom and Stefan, and Elaine and April. My grandmother took Rachel from me, and unsurprisingly, my grandfather invited me into his study.

“How is the house?”

“Wonderful, «Дедушка»,” I replied. “Thank you. It’s perfect for Rachel and me.”

“And your finances?”

“I’m in very good shape. Viktor committed to paying for my final year of medical school, so there are no concerns.”

“Good. How is your training progressing?”

“Still top in my class,” I replied. “The next big step is the second part of the Medical Licensing Exam, but that’s not until Spring of 1989. I’ll start interviewing at hospitals in December of 1988.”

“You still plan to work in McKinley, right?”

“Yes, though if you recall, I can only express a preference. In order to ensure I have no problems, I’ll also apply to several hospitals in the area.”

“If the hospital wants you, and you want them, how could that not work? I understand that if they choose you, and you choose them, you get the position.”

“Yes, that’s true, but there is one monkey wrench that could be thrown into the works — married couples receive preferences in the Match, so they can Match together. That can override first choices. That’s rare, and the chances it will affect me are tiny, so unless I create my own problems by failing a rotation or do poorly on the exam, I’ll Match for trauma surgery at Moore Memorial Hospital.”

“Good. Is there any way I can help you?”

“You’ve already done so much for me, «Дедушка». There is nothing right now, but I promise to speak to you or Mr. Sokolov if there is.”

“Good. Do you think the women will let me hold my granddaughter?”

“I’ll make it happen!” I declared.

“You’re a brave man, Mischa!” he chuckled.

We left his study, and I convinced my grandmother to allow my grandfather to hold Rachel, and offered to help her serve tea and coffee.

“I hear you’re interviewing for a wife,” my grandmother said quietly.

“Nothing gets past you,” I chuckled. “Who’s talking?”

“One of the girls mentioned she’s going to visit you in January and that other girls had been visiting you on Saturdays, arranged by Serafima Gronov. Do you have a favorite?”

“Do you?” I countered mirthfully.

My grandmother laughed, “A very wise answer, Mike!”

“Actually, I’m curious.”

“My friend Andrijana, in Columbus, has a beautiful granddaughter in need of a handsome husband! She’s Serbian, though, not Russian.”

“And I’m half Dutch!”

“Which I have never held against you!” Grandma teased.

“I’m actually attending the Divine Liturgy for Theophany at the Cathedral. What’s the girl’s name?”

“Danijela, but she goes by Dani. She’s eighteen and is working as a receptionist in a doctor’s office. I can arrange for you to meet her.”

I knew there were eligible guys at the Cathedral, so I was tempted to ask what was wrong with Dani. It could just be she didn’t like any of them, and no harm would be done with an introduction.

“I won’t object to an introduction,” I said.

“You’re a good boy!”

“I value my health and life,” I chuckled.

Grandma laughed softly, “A wise man! Just like your grandfather!”

Unsaid was ‘not like your dad’. And just like my grandfather, I knew keeping my grandmother happy was conducive to continued good health!

We took the tea and coffee into the living room and I helped serve, then we opened presents. After that, Elaine and I sat down to chat.

“How are things going?” I asked.

“Great! I love living with your mom and stepdad! I start school in just over a week.”

“Who’s going to watch April?”

“Your mom and grandma. Your mom spoke to Mr. Winston, and she’s going to work three days a week, and your grandma will watch April those days. I hear the girls from church are watching Rachel for you.”

“Yes.”

“Your grandmother thinks you’re interviewing for a new wife. Can I apply?”

“You’re fourteen,” I replied.

“Fifteen!” she corrected.

“And according to Ohio, you can’t marry before you’re sixteen. I’m ten years older than you are.”

“So?!”

I actually had a way out, because I knew quite a bit about being a ward of the state from what had happened with Angie.

“Elaine, you’re a ward of the state, which means you would need permission from Family Services, not my mom and Stefan. Given what happened with you, there’s no way the State of Ohio will approve you marrying before you turn eighteen. The only way you stop being a ward of the state is if my mom and Stefan adopt you, but then you’re my sister, which means it would be illegal for us to marry.”

I actually wasn’t sure about that, but it sounded right.

“That sucks! You’re really nice and I think you’re hot!”

“I’m flattered,” I said. “But you should find a boy your age, or one or two years older. There will be plenty at the High School! Just choose wisely. And you need to use birth control if you’re going to have sex. And I mean every single time with no exceptions. April doesn’t need a brother or sister for at least four years!”

“You think it’s OK for me to have sex?” she asked.

“I think it’s a personal decision,” I replied. “In my opinion, you’re too young.”

“How old do you think a girl should be?”

“Fifteen or sixteen,” I replied. “And remember, in Ohio, until you’re sixteen, a guy over eighteen could be arrested just as your neighbor was.”

“I don’t think he should have to spend over twenty years in prison because I wanted to do it! He didn’t make me!”

“I understand, but Ohio says you can’t consent to sex until you turn sixteen, and your neighbor should have known that. I’m sure your social worker told you that.”

“She’s a busybody!”

“Maybe so, but you need to keep her happy. She’s the one who will decide if you can stay with my mom and Stefan.”

Elaine rolled her eyes, “I know. Liz said the same thing. But she married Paul, and he’s ten years older, and she was with him when she was fourteen!”

“Yes, she did. And did she tell you what I said at the time?”

“No.”

“I told her I thought she was making a huge mistake. Everything turned out OK, but that doesn’t mean it was a good idea.”

“You married your wife when she was sixteen.”

“I did, but I was twenty-two, and remember, sixteen is the age of consent.”

“So you didn’t before...”

“No, we didn’t,” I said, electing to share that with Elaine.

Grandma let us know that dinner would be ready in ten minutes, so I went to help her bring things to the table, much to my mom’s amusement. After dinner, I had some time to speak privately with Liz.

“Dad would like you to call him after you deliver,” I said.

“Good for Dad,” Liz said flatly.

“Whatever else is true, he’s still your baby’s grandfather, and Peter is your half-brother.”

“Dad is such a jackass,” Liz declared.

“Just think about it,” I said.

“Fine,” Liz replied flatly. “I thought about it. No. How are you doing?”

“OK.”

“Is anyone still giving you grief about Tasha?”

“Sadly, yes, they are,” I sighed. “Can I ask you a question, and will you answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ and provide NO details?”

“Sure. Why?”

“I don’t want to gossip, but I want to confirm a suspicion. Has Tasha been dating? I mean, other than Chris?”

“Yes. I can tell you who, if you want to know.”

“Nope. I just wanted the answer to that question.”

“Are you thinking of getting back together with her?”

“No. Exactly the opposite. Nothing has changed from when we elected not to marry four years ago.”

“Who’s the front-runner in the competition to be the next Mrs. Loucks?”

“If you’ll agree to swear to secrecy, I’ll tell you.”

“I swear,” Liz smirked. “Pinkies?”

I laughed because I remembered her doing that with her friends when they were little. I held out my hand and extended my pinky. Liz did the same, we hooked them together and shook.

“I’m not really in a position to decide, but I’m seeing Kari, a girl I met at the hospital, who isn’t Orthodox. Lara is interested, as is Maryam, and then there are the girls Serafima is sending over on Saturdays, though that’s kind of a mixed blessing.”

“You could have a lot of fun, Mikey! I bet you anything every single one of those girls would put out!”

“And you’re OK with that?” I asked.

“You popped a bunch of my friends’ cherries! Emmy, Mindy, Hannah, and Violet! And maybe Maggie’s, but I never heard anything after you guys broke up.”

“No comment,” I replied.

Liz laughed softly, “The first four all told me! I needed brain bleach! So, yeah, whatever, so long as you’re happy.”

“Most days I am,” I replied. “But other days are tough. This morning was.”

“Because of Elizaveta?”

“That was part of it,” I replied. “I was emotional to start with and the morning didn’t go well. A nice warm bath helped a lot, and coming here helped.”

“Are you getting help?”

“I am. Lara and Clarissa are both a huge help, and I’ve spoken to Father Roman at the monastery in Ellwood City.”

“My brother getting advice from a monk? There’s a shock! But you know my opinion of anyone who swears off sex for life!”

“When’s the last time you got laid, little sister?”

“Oh, shut up!” she growled, but then laughed. “You know how it is.”

“I do,” I replied. “You going to have that baby soon?”

“He’s dropped, so, yeah, a couple of days at most. Grandma put her hands on my stomach and said ‘Monday’.”

“I don’t think I’d bet against her on anything to do with babies. Call me when you go into labor. If I’m not home, one of the girls will answer or the machine will get it.”

“I will, or Mom will.”

“Thanks. I need to speak to Mom for a bit.”

“OK,” Liz agreed.

With my grandfather’s permission, I invited my mom into his study.

“Holly is pregnant again,” I said. “She’d due in August.”

“Oh, for heaven’s sake!” Mom said, shaking her head.

“She’s young, so it shouldn’t be a surprise.”

“And your dad is old enough to be a grandfather! Oh wait, he is a grandfather!”

“I’m not sure how that changes anything,” I said.

“Sorry, I was being catty. I shouldn’t have said that.”

“No, but it is how you feel, isn’t it?”

“Yes,” Mom admitted.

“I guess all I have to say is Dad, Liz, you, and I each have to live our lives and do our best to be happy. You and I are the ones who profess to be Christians and to be serious about it, so we’re the last people who should be judging someone else.”

“You’re a pain in the butt when you quote me to me!” Mom said, shaking her head ruefully.

“Thank you!”

“What am I going to do with you?”

“You lost all power over me the day I got into my Mustang and drove to McKinley to start at Taft!”

“You are still my son!”

“I am, and you are free to express your opinions, and I’m free to ignore them AND tell you I’m ignoring them. But that doesn’t mean I don’t love you.”

“I love you too, Mike. Will you come visit after Liz has her baby?”

“When she’s ready for visitors, yes. By the way, Grandma and Grandpa Loucks will be here tomorrow. They’re going to come see Rachel on Monday morning. They’re hoping Liz has her baby before they go home. I hope Liz will let them visit. She’s not inclined to talk to Dad.”

“I’ll talk to her. I suspect she’ll be fine with Peter’s parents; Peter is a different story.”

“I know. Elaine tells me you’re working three days a week starting in January.”

“That’s not quite true — three days a week in the office. Mr. Winston bought a computer for me to use at home. I can type briefs and letters, all of which he dictates, into a program called WordPerfect. I can take files back and forth on diskette. A college student is working Tuesdays and Thursdays, mostly answering the phone and keeping his calendar.”

“That’s cool.”

“My son thinks having a computer in the house is cool?” Mom asked with a goofy smile. “What’s next? Dogs and cats living together?”

I laughed, “Elizaveta had a computer, which I kept. I’ve actually used it to type papers and write a few evaluations.”

“It IS the end of the world!” Mom teased.

“I used computers at Taft for our lab reports and some other papers. They may be infernal machines developed in the far reaches of hell, but they are useful!”

Mom laughed, “I’m sure IBM would be interested to know that computers are the spawn of Satan!”

“You said it, Mom, not me!”

December 26, 1987, McKinley, Ohio

“Hi!” Sara Wright exclaimed when I opened the door just before 7:00am on Saturday.

“Hi,” I replied. “Rachel and I are just enjoying some daddy-daughter time before her morning nap.”

“OK. I’ll make breakfast! I brought cookies, and I also made dessert, which needs to go in the fridge.”

“Let me give you a quick tour of this floor.”

Three minutes later, she was in the kitchen and Rachel and I went back to the great room where I put her down on the rug in front of the fireplace. Twenty minutes later, Sara called us for a breakfast of sausage, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, and toast, along with coffee.

“Can she sit in a high chair yet?” Sara asked as I cradled Rachel in one arm.

“Soon,” I replied. “But she really likes it when I hold her, and a happy daughter makes for a happy dad.”

“Somebody should tell my dad!” she complained.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.